As a key player in home safety, sump pump alarms help homeowners dodge costly repairs due to flooding by alerting them when sump basin water levels rise too quickly. Check out our sump pump guide below to know how to respond when the alarm goes off.
What Does a Sump Pump Alarm Do?
A sump pump alarm is an electronic device that detects water in the sump basin. When the water level gets too high, or the system experiences other issues, the alarm alerts homeowners so they have time to respond before water damage occurs.
Should I Remove the Alarm From the Sump Pump?
If water fills the sump basin too quickly, triggering the alarm, you can remove the alarm temporarily while the sump pump drains the accumulated water. Stay near the sump pump until all or most of the water drains to ensure no flooding occurs. Once the water has drained, you can replace the alarm.
How Do I Fix a Sump Pump Alarm That Goes Off Continuously?
A sump pump alarm that goes off continuously is a nuisance that you’ll do just about anything to stop. Here are a few causes of this problem and how to fix them:
- Leaking water: Water can leak on top of the sump pump and cause the alarm to go off until the water is removed. If this occurs, you can either cover the top of the sump pump to block leaking water or fix the water leak.
- Hypersensitive sump pump: A hypersensitive sump pump causes the alarm to sound even when water levels are normal. In this case, you should consider replacing the sump pump with a new unit or investing in a less sensitive alarm.
- Power outage: The lack of proper power supply to the sump pump can cause the alarm to go off until power is restored. Equipping the sump pump with a continuous backup power supply can prevent this problem from occurring by enabling the system to operate normally even during a power outage.
Causes of Sudden Basement Flooding
Sudden basement flooding generally results from either a water leak or excessive rainfall that your sump pump can’t keep up with during the draining process. First, inspect the sump pump and the area surrounding it for water leaks. If you don’t find any, you may need to schedule a Snell technician for sump pump repair or replacement services.
Tips and Insights: Do I Need a Low-Flow Fixture in My Bathroom?
What to Do if Your Sump Pump Alarm Goes Off
Whether it’s the result of a power outage or rising water levels, your sump pump alarm notifies you when a problem occurs with the device. By giving you time to respond, this alarm system can help you avoid costly repairs by preventing damaging basement flooding.
You have a few courses of action to follow when the alarm sounds:
- Make sure the power is on. A power outage or other circuit breaker issue can cause the alarm to sound even if the water is at a normal level.
- Remove any excess water if the water level gets too high.
- Have a Snell technician come out to assess the problem and provide a solution.
Reliable Sump Pump Repair & Installation Services
To ensure your basement is protected from flooding, you need a sump pump that does its job right. Our team of licensed plumbers offer innovative sump pump installation and repair services for homeowners in Sterling and other areas in Virginia.
Whether your sump pump needs minor repairs or you want to replace it with a new unit, our technicians have your back with reliable sump pump repair and replacement solutions. In addition, our contractors offer other types of plumbing services such as drain clearing, water heater repair, gas line installation, and sewer line maintenance. If you need assistance with a damaged sump pump, give our team a call by phone at (703) 543-9649 to book an appointment.