Ask yourself this very important question, “Is my AC unit ready for summer?” If your answer is, “No,” don’t worry! We’ve got you covered. Prepare your home for those summer heatwaves with air conditioning tune-up and service from Snell Heating & Air Conditioning. Our team of certified technicians are standing by to ensure your home is cool and refreshing all summer long.
Snell Heating & Air Conditioning provides trustworthy air conditioning tune-up services to homes in areas of Virginia such as Centreville, Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Reston, and Leesburg. Give us a call by phone at (703) 543-9649 or book an appointment online to receive assistance with an air conditioning issue.
7 Main Components of an Air Conditioner
Your central air conditioning system is engineered to remove heat and humidity from your house to keep you comfortable. As the system reaches the middle or end of its lifespan, you may begin to notice issues with components such as the evaporator coil, fan, compressor, or thermostat. Prior to calling a licensed HVAC contractor to schedule an air conditioner tune-up, you may want to become familiar with the main components in your system to gain a better understanding of the issue.
- Blower – This component works with your furnace and circulates cool air into your home. Additionally, it pulls room-temperature air back in for re-cooling.
- Evaporator Coil – This component is located near the blow and works to remove humidity and heat from the air. Refrigerant runs through the coil to make this possible.
- Compressor – Refrigerant absorbs heat then becomes a gas. It passes through the compressor, where it is pressurized and heated even more. This step prepares the refrigerant to give up its heat.
- Condensing Coil – This component is the outdoor equivalent of the evaporator coil. Refrigerant travels from the compressor to the condenser and expels heat collected indoors to the outside. Once the refrigerant is cooled to a liquid, it circulates back to collect more heat in the evaporator coil.
- Fan – The fan keeps the heat away from the condensing unit to ensure that it doesn’t overheat.
- Air Filter – The air filter helps to keep dust and dirt out of the AC components. Installing an efficient filter can help to improve your indoor air quality while the AC operates.
- Thermostat – This controls the entire air conditioning process. It reads the indoor temperature and tells the air conditioner when to turn off and on. The higher you set your thermostat, the lower your cooling bills will be.
Should You Schedule an Air Conditioning Tune-Up?
As the weather gets warmer, it’s a good idea to schedule a routine air conditioner tune-up. Scheduling a tune-up now could save you money in the long run, here’s why:
Your Air Conditioner Will Save Energy
Just as you would do routine maintenance on your car, your air conditioner needs the same! Having a professional assess its condition and make a tune-up if needed will help to ensure your unit is working properly, saving you money on your energy bill.
Air Conditioner Tune-Up’s Prevent Future Repairs
As our Snell technicians complete your air conditioning tune-up, they will be able to spot any potential problems. So issues just require simple fixes to avoid total breakdowns. Having a professional look over your unit regularly can help prevent your AC from needing a costly repair down the road.
Tips & Insights: What Size Air Conditioner Should I Buy?
You’ll Know the Condition of Your AC
Our professional technicians will be able to tell you everything you need to know about your unit and how it is performing at the conclusion of the air conditioning tune-up appointment. That way you won’t be blindsided by future replacement.
What Your AC Is Telling You
It is not uncommon for your AC to try to speak to you, especially as it gets older and is used frequently! You should, however, feel it more than you hear it. If you are noticing loud humming, screaming, banging, or gurgling noises, this is a sign it’s time to book a professional air conditioning tune-up appointment. These are the most common noises and what they mean:
- Loud Humming: This noise can be a sign of loose components in your system. The vibrations may be coming from electrical wiring or even loose screws within your unit.
- Screaming: If you hear a loud pitched hiss or scream coming from your unit, you should shut it down immediately. Screaming noises usually represent a serious problem within the compressor. If you don’t turn your unit off right away, it may suffer more damage or breakdown.
- Banging: If your AC makes continuous banging sounds as it operates, you should schedule an AC tune-up appointment to get some parts tightened or replaced
- Gurgling: If you hear gurgling or liquid sounds coming from your Air Conditioner, it is likely related to the refrigerant or condenser line. This can lead to corrosion, freezing up, or other damage and should be assessed immediately if you experience the noises.
5 Signs You Need an AC Tune-Up
Blowing Warm Air
When it comes to your cooling system, it is important to understand that it will run for a long period of time. If your system is unable to cool your home to a comfortable temperature, we recommend signing up for an AC tune-up or maintenance session to avoid high energy bills.
You can easily tell if your system has a developing problem when you place your hand over a cooling register. If what you feel is warmer air, your system is wasting electricity by trying to cool your home to your desired temperature.
Tips & Insights: Why Isn’t My Furnace Producing Warm Air?
If the air coming from your AC vents is cool, but it’s not blowing freely from your air registers, you could have one or more leaky air ducts or you may have a clogged filter.
Temperature Swings From Room To Room
If there is a temperature change from room to room, this could be sun induced. This issue may also be caused by a lack of insulation or an inefficient air conditioner. Schedule an AC tune-up or maintenance appointment with a licensed contractor to discuss ways to eliminate temperature variations in your house.
System is Producing Sounds
With a cooling system in your home, you should be aware of its normal sounds while it is running. Should you hear strange sounds, you may need an air conditioning tune up, as quickly as possible, to identify and fix the source of these new sounds.
Moisture/Odors From Air Conditioner
When this happens, it normally indicates your outdoor compressor may be leaking. Or, you may have a blocked or broken drain tube. With Snell, we can provide an AC tune-up that will fix this issue before you need expensive system repairs or you develop unhealthy mold spores.
Snell AC Tune-Up Services in Alexandria & Other Areas of VA
When your air conditioning unit is causing you trouble, call the team at Snell Heating & Air Conditioning. You can count on our trusted team to provide you with top-notch air conditioning tune-up services. Give us a call by phone at (703) 543-9649 or book an appointment online to receive assistance. Our staff also offers other HVAC services including furnace repair, air conditioning installation, and heating system installation. We provide trustworthy heating and air conditioning services in areas of Virginia such as Ashburn, Centreville, Arlington, Annandale, Alexandria, and Burke. Our team of friendly, reliable technicians will ensure your home is cool and comfortable all summer long. Contact us for an appointment today!
Tips & Insights: Benefits of Gas & Electric Water Heaters